Spoon Message Board » off topic / other music

2010 Releases!!!

(28 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by drop dead ed
  • Latest reply from captain_arz

1. drop dead ed
    drop dead ed
    (192 Posts)

Any releases you're looking forward to this year even though we're approaching the halfway point

Delta Spirit - History from Below
    June 8th, 2010

Wolf Parade - Expo 86
    June 29th, 2010

Arcade Fire - ???
    ?????? ????, 2010

The National - High Violet
    NOW!!!

Posted 13 years ago #
  2. pherron
    pherron
    (173 Posts)

LCD Soundsystem

Posted 13 years ago #
  3. monkfishblues
    monkfishblues
    (250 Posts)

I think Deerhunter's releasing a new album this year, too, aren't they?

I'm looking forward to those Wolf Parade and LCD releases as well - It's a great year for music!

Posted 13 years ago #
  4. kickingeapoe
    kickingeapoe
    (33 Posts)

I'm pumped for Arcade Fire and Delta Spirit. Hopefully Radiohead will drop one on us before the end of the year.

Posted 13 years ago #
  5. libz
    libz
    (9 Posts)

I am LOVING The National's High Violet.

Posted 13 years ago #
  6. drop dead ed
    drop dead ed
    (192 Posts)

Black Keys released their album this week. It's a gem I think and I hear there's a surprise for the CD purchaser. They say it's too long, but if you're a fan of the keys' than you should pick this bad boy up

Posted 13 years ago #
  7. Tyler Darling
    Tyler Darling
    (706 Posts)

LCD SOUNDSYSTEM!!!!!!

Posted 13 years ago #
  8. Tyler Darling
    Tyler Darling
    (706 Posts)

New Arcade Fire Album "The Suburbs"!!!

Also I just got the Oasis' single Collection "Time Flies". It was a great deal. even though I have all the singles, most on vinyl, I loved having all the videos. I always loved the music videos. and their last live show. All that for very cheap. Can't beat that.

Posted 13 years ago #
  9. nefarious
    nefarious
    (129 Posts)

I'm waiting for No Age's new album. Oh how I love those dudes.

Posted 13 years ago #
  10. Gabriel
    Gabriel
    (193 Posts)

@ drop dead ed

I got the Black Keys' album, and the surprise was the fact that the CD is heat sensitive. It is completely black when you get it but once you take it out of your CD player it is vanilla white with black text. It slowly fades back to black over time, then you can mess with the coloring just by touching it (fingerprints and such). I had no idea there was going to be a surprise in the first place, and I personally found this SO COOL.
    The songs are good too. Simple, dirty stuff.

I'm looking forward to Coldplay's album. They're not that great, but I'm very excited to see where they're going - they are one of the few way-mainstream bands I know of actively pursuing non-mainstream ideas (weird time signatures, unexpected instruments, unconventional arrangements, all done in a completely sincere and organic way).

Posted 13 years ago #
  11. monkfishblues
    monkfishblues
    (250 Posts)

Janelle Monae! She's on tour with Of Montreal - be sure to check her out!

Posted 13 years ago #
  12. drop dead ed
    drop dead ed
    (192 Posts)

I've just recently been introduced to the music of Mumford and Sons Sigh no More and I must say it's pretty amazing folky music. I can't wait to see them at Lolla

I grazed through some of Janelle Monae and I'm digging it, but it struck me as odd for a bit haha.

I love the Black Keys album and I consider it one of my personal best of 2010 so far. I love every song on that album. High Violet is a close second (conversation 16 is one of their best songs IMO, he makes that song sound real frightening).

Posted 13 years ago #
  13. Zman
    Zman
    (50 Posts)

I'm really looking forward to Interpol's new album.

Posted 13 years ago #
  14. monkfishblues
    monkfishblues
    (250 Posts)

I've been listening to The Black Keys' Brothers and Rubber Factory continuously for a while now - thinking of picking up Attack and Release as well as Dan Auerbach's solo album this week. The Keys are supposed to be even more amazing live! Their upcoming ACL after party is on a Saturday so I'm hoping to grab tix for that, otherwise I have to buy Kings of Leon tickets to see them open up for the Followills...ugh...the audience at KOL shows....ugh...

Mumford and Sons, eh? I'll check 'em out.

Posted 13 years ago #
  15. redaktor
    redaktor
    (5 Posts)

Beach House, Vampire Weekend, and The National all delivered the goods.

Posted 13 years ago #
  16. monkfishblues
    monkfishblues
    (250 Posts)

So I took a listen and Mumford and Sons, having not read or heard anything about them, immediately reminded me of the Fleet Foxes - a Fleet Foxes that isn't afraid to rock a bit harder. Good stuff.

AND I SNAGGED MY THE BLACK KEYS TICKET!!!

To top that off, I just realized I'm seeing LCD Soundsystem the night before in Houston. That's some weekend!

Posted 13 years ago #
  17. drop dead ed
    drop dead ed
    (192 Posts)

haha I saw no connection to mumford and sons and fleet foxes, that is i've only heard Mumford's single "Little Lion Man"

I just randomly decided to buy the new Deerhunter "Halycon Digest" and if your into that spacey, psychadelic rock, you'll love this one. It has a pop element too and I am loving this album.

My favorite tracks are "helicopter" "He would have laughed" "Desire Lines" "Revival" and "Basement Scene"

***Black Keys was my favorite performance at Lolla and that wasn't even a venue gig, I can imagine how amazing it is when it's everything Black Keys!!

Posted 13 years ago #
  18. Tyler Darling
    Tyler Darling
    (706 Posts)

I adore the new "LCD Soundsystem" record. Every album they make gets better and better. My fiend burned me a copy of the CD and I patiently waited to get the vinyl release. My local record store got it in August.....but it was worth the wait!!!

I also love the new Black Keys. Although I like "Attack and Release" a LITTLE bit more.

Also the new Wavves "King of the Beach" is great. I LOVE lo-fi, but FINALLY this album is very listenable. And Jay Reatard's old backing band is on the album. It sounds great.

Also the new National is grrrrreat.

And of course Arcade Fire's "Suburbs". If you have not heard it yet....hear it. It's majestic.

I also got King's of Leon's new album "Come Around Sundown" early. SO far I like it. Better than their last for SURE. If you're a fan of them you will enjoy it. It's a little more southern and country (not in a bad way). I like it.

It will still never beat "Youth and Young Manhood." If you haven't heard THAT album. Get it. It's very good. Raw Rock 'n' Roll.

That's all for now.

Posted 13 years ago #
  19. drop dead ed
    drop dead ed
    (192 Posts)

I prefer their "Aha Shake Heartbreak" album, If they had put "California waiting" on it, it would've been perfect. Interesting how you already have their new album.

"Only by the Night" was annoying, however their live opener "crawl" is an amazing way to start a show, but it sounds more like a great song to open an encore as well haha.

Posted 13 years ago #
  20. monkfishblues
    monkfishblues
    (250 Posts)

Ha! Every Kings of Leon fan I've spoken to brings up "IT'S NOT LIKE THEIR LAST ONE!" as the first positive thing to mention about Come Around Sundown.

Posted 13 years ago #
  21. Tyler Darling
    Tyler Darling
    (706 Posts)

That's because their last one was pretty bad. Disappointing. Their first is my favorite. Dirty Southern Rock 'n' Roll.

Posted 13 years ago #
  22. Gabriel
    Gabriel
    (193 Posts)

Oh, also, BO BURNHAM. But that comes out tomorrow anyway.

Please check him out if you've never heard of him; he's hilarious.

Posted 13 years ago #
  23. Tyler Darling
    Tyler Darling
    (706 Posts)

Helen Keller is the perfect woman

Posted 13 years ago #
  24. captain_arz
    captain_arz
    (120 Posts)

Ive been listening to Deerhunter's "Halcyon Digest" Its their best yet in my opinion, i really like it. I'll be seeing them next week here in Portland! I'm very excited (:

Posted 13 years ago #
  25. Gabriel
    Gabriel
    (193 Posts)

@ Tyler: I am being Bo for Halloween.

@ captain_arz: I looked up Deerhunter and they are apparently an experimental outfit... What album would a good entry-point for an open-minded but finitely patient listener such as myself?

Posted 13 years ago #
  26. monkfishblues
    monkfishblues
    (250 Posts)

Gabriel: In your case, I'd start with Halcyon Digest and then, if you'd like, work your way back.

Posted 13 years ago #
  27. Gabriel
    Gabriel
    (193 Posts)

Just for posterity, here's me in the Bo Burnham costume:

The greatest rapper evah

And that is the Transference vinyl in the background (right about the Contra case), though it's not my room - my friend has good taste in decoration.

Posted 13 years ago #
  28. captain_arz
    captain_arz
    (120 Posts)

Gabriel: I agree with Monkfishbues. I would defiantly start with Halcyon Digest. If you like what cha' hear, I'd move to Microcastle from there.

Posted 13 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.